Friday, March 22, 2013

The Hunger Games

I can't remember now whether I've mentioned I bought a Kindle e-book reader back in Feb 2012. I downloaded a few sample chapters of several books recently to check out. I think the sample chapter idea is really great for books because I'm never very sure when I start a book by a new author if I'm going to like it. It saves time and money to get to know a writers style before you buy and its so convenient. (Still, I worry with so many digital experiences just how many real experiences like browsing in bookshops will be left in 20 years time.)

No such worries with The Hunger Games though, it is brilliantly written and a complete joy to read. I saw the film with my family a while back and we all thought it was very entertaining. Quite similar in plot to the Japanese film Battle Royale, but less extreme. Jennifer Lawrence is simply stunning, sometimes a person is too beautiful to describe, she's one of those. It was marketed as a book for teenagers originally but actually it's too good to segment to one slice of the audience. Young and old can enjoy.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

The books defintely appeal to a wide age range. That trilogy remains extremely popular at my library.
Glad you're enjoying it!

FW said...

LB: I'm glad too, it's been a while since I've read a book that's so easy to engage me.