Sunday, March 03, 2013

Twitter/Facebook

I wonder what the world would be like without Facebook and Twitter? I can't decide whether these services are good or bad. I find tweets too short and Facebook too intrusive. I've used Twitter but have not kept up a constant stream like a lot of its users do. I can see how it could be interesting for people who are at live events but it does seem to be phenomenally popular for reasons I don't get. Can anyone explain it?

I feel Facebook is slightly sinister, so I have an irrational personal fear of it. I don't feel I'm really using these services to get the most out of them. I have accounts in the services but for Facebook I use my real name and all of my friends are people I've known through work. I like to separate work from my family and friends and I don't think Facebook makes its controls very easy to understand and control. Especially with the Facebook app compared to the website. I feel like stopping from using them and then starting again but am worried someone will steal my identity.



3 comments:

laura b. said...

I have more or less leaned back into the idea that my information is ALL online somewhere. I use Facebook to keep up with people I don't see often (or some I've never meet IRL), but my close friends and family are on there too and can be very amusing.
I use Twitter to keep up with real time news. And for the jokes. Some people are extraordinarily clever and their twitter feeds brighten a dull day.

FW said...

LB: I guess with FB I don't think my comings and goings are interesting enough to post! Maybe I need to give it more of a go? With Twitter I know what you mean but I find it difficult to find the time to check it everyday. Again, probably needs a more focused effort on my part

Tara said...

If I didn't have FB I'd lose contact with a lot of people I am unable to see in person.

FB can get too much, though, and I have to step away from it.

Tweets are too short, it's true. I don't like Twitter.