Friday, March 22, 2013

James Bond

The DVD of Skyfall was published recently and my wife had the decency to pre-order it for me as a Christmas pressie. We watched it altogether as a family recently and loved it. I have to admit to having a soft spot for James Bond films. I've read all of the Flemming books (when I was in my teens). The books are very good I think. I was a child of the Roger Moore era of films and while I liked them as a child, as a teenager and an adult they never really worked for me. No disrespect to Roger Moore, he's a great character and actor and he gave it a great shot and is dearly loved by the fans. But for me, not since Connery has there been a Bond I've liked as much as Daniel Craig. To play Bond, I think the actor has to have a believable cruel streak. Connery and Craig have that. Dalton never seemed right. Brosnan was a pretty Bond, in a similar way to Moore was. I liked Brosnan, his era included some cracking individual scenes - driving through Moscow in a tank for instance. He paved the way for a harder Bond in Craig.
 

Back to Skyfall. It is probably one of the best Bond's ever. I don't quite know why, it has a very pleasing pace to it. It has a good mix of locations and the location in Scotland is one of the loveliest landscapes the world has to offer.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

I am no Bond expert by any means, but I do know Skyfall seems to have pleased many fans.
Nice that your family can all enjoy it together.

FW said...

LB: Yes, it's worth checking out. It's always nice to watch films as a family, we should make more of a point of doing it.