Tuesday, March 26, 2013

O2 Joggler revived

My mother inlaw picked up a couple of "clock radios" about a couple of years ago now and was kind enough to pass one on to me. It is a table top device a bit like a digital photo frame but the glass is a conductive touch screen and it has a USB port. It was sold by the mobile phone company O2 but has since stopped supporting them. When I finally got mine connected to the internet, it had a few useful things on it like news, weather, internet radio and lots of games probably many of which I wouldn't play, there was a web browser and BBCiPlayer as well. There were some things on there that were no longer available too, like Sky News. The internet connection was not reliable though but that might have been our old router, which had its own problems. I now think my Joggler was probably running an updated operating system from the one the device would have originally come with. It's been in the drawer in the kitchen for a while now because we didn't really know what to do with it.
My bedside clock is probably older than ten years now, it is battery powered (but they seem to last a long time) but it uses power to project the time on the ceiling. I can't be bothered to unplug it, so during the day that particular feature is redundant. I wondered whether the Joggler could be a replacement with some added feaures.
I have a colleague from work who I know has bought several of these devices and has installed a media server operating system on them to serve music throughout his house. So I decided to have a look on the web for what could be done to update the software. I found these links:


I managed to reflash the memory and perform a clean install of the original operating system from O2. This was a blue interface and the internet connection worked, surprisingly. I was encouraged then to update the operating system to the latest available. I followed some more instructions and after 10 minutes or so the device rebooted and sprang to life with a new look. Here are some photos:

During the reflash

The original O2 "blue" interface after reflashing

New home screen

More toys
Final page of home screen
Now at my new bedside, displaying the screensaver 


So now, I've got this by my bedside so I can set the alarm, check the time, check the weather, check the news etc. any time I want. I could also check Twitter, Facebook, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail or play some games or watch YouTube or a BBC iPlayer programme.

2 comments:

laura b. said...

Fancy! Nice that it is still operational and quite useful!

FW said...

LB: It was a good little project for an afternoon. Apparently people have been picking them up on eBay really cheap.