Monday, October 16, 2006

John Peel Day (Belated)


John Peel Day

Well, I meant to post something last Thursday and it didn't quite work out for me. I think there were celebrations all over the world in one form or another, this link gets you to a list of the UK gigs held in honour of the great man. This is the John Peel Day Flickr group photo pool, you will see lots of band shots.

Radio just isn't the same without Peely.

I'm not quite sure how The BBC's Electric Proms ties in with the John Peel Day celebrations but here is a guide to what's on - it all kicks off on Wednesday 25th. The 28th and 30th look like they will be my favourite days. There is going to be a John Peel Night but I haven't found out yet when that is. The performances are going to be watchable online and through BBCi.

BBC Radio 6 is also having a week dedicated to Peel from 23rd to27th October, called Keeping It Peel. On this page you can find out what was in John's emergency record 7" records box (and vote for your favourite track: Johnny Fortune - 'Dragster' was mine) and hear the 6 part documentary he did with John Waters (friend and producer).

No comments: