Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sunday Tech Thoughts

A bit of a techie post tonight. I've a few things on my mind:
  • Am I hallucinating or has the line "Switched to the new beta version?" just started appearing when leaving comments? What's different about the new beta Blogger? Can old Blogger blogs switch to the new beta version of Blogger? Anyone use it enough to be able to tell whether it's worth changing to it?
  • I had a go on a friend's new smartphone and was disappointed to see that Mobile Word doesn't have the drawing functionality that Pocket Word had. Most of my Dinkums and Doodles contributions use the old Pocket Word
  • I see that the Google Reader has undergone a user interface makeover and is much easier to use. The old interface was not very intuitive and I couldn't work it out but I get the new interface without too much effort. I'm going to try and use it to keep better tabs on my favourite blogs, I'm very hit and miss at the moment. On the other hand, I'm slightly worried that I won't visit blogs as much - I enjoy looking at the templates, links, profiles and all the other stuff my online buddies do to their blogs: I sometimes get just as much enjoyment seeing what other stuff people are into and reading (and adding) comments as I do from reading their blog posts: Google Reader doesn't cover that.
  • I'm moving into audio territory in a couple of weeks with a podcast show and I've seen a microphone I want but it's like 50 quid, so I'll add it to my imaginary Christmas list
  • I use Personalised Google as my home page, when I set it up I added a few widgets to it that I dropped but I haven't gone and had a look at what widgets were available for a while. Boy, was I surprised at the stuff that I can now plug into the page - practically anything I like. Cool! (although I suspect after my initial enthusiasm for adding cool stuff, I'll realise I can't possibly use all of it and return to my few staple widgets I use most often)
The last thing this evening is about a chef who made his bride to be a wedding dress out of profiteroles. I hope this link to the full story works. You might say she was good enough to eat!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I switched to Beta. Here's my rundown. Okay, all blogs can switch over - it's not gonna hurt anything. That is, once you get the offer to. On your Dashboard, if you see the blue box that says "check out the new features" or something like that, on the right of the page, it's your turn. I would take it, because I waited before (Beta was a little too Beta for me) a couple months ago - and Google took the offer away from me for a couple weeks.

Now, if you do get Beta, it's basically the Blogger you know and love - only way faster and less buggy. Beta is actually less buggy. lol. Beta is intigrated with your Google Account (awesome) so the Gmail and all that is one sign-in. Very cool if you're in bed with the Google family, as am I. You will also get labels (i.e. catagories) for your posts. And template customization is a total breeze - for you. For me, notsomuch, because my template in Minima to the max, and Blogger doesn't know what to do with it. So that's a rainy day project for me. Also new are personal posts - so you can lock people you don't know out of your blog - and e-mail comment notification that tells you what post the dude commented on.

Cool, huh? That was fun. I felt like typing. lol. :p

FW said...

Thanks for the heads up on that Ryan. It sounds like the Beta Blogger is actually worth using, if I get the offer.

laura b. said...

The only thing about it is there seems to be problems leaving comments between Beta and non-Beta bloggers...or has that been worked out?

FW said...

I don't know about that. They'll need to sort it out pretty darn quick though. I wonder how long it will be before everyone is switched automatically? I love all of Google's features, so I'm really up for trying it but I don't see the button to switch.