Monday, October 09, 2006

TV Dinners

Not quite literally a tv dinner for me this evening, I am sitting at my computer rather than the tv. You get the idea though.

I'm trying to make the most of my tea tonight, which consists of supermarket chilli con carne ready meal and glass of flat lemonade. The lemonade has gone flat, it was originally bubbly. Making the most of actually consists of adding a couple of slices of bread and butter! You see, we were in a rush today and the children had eaten elsewhere and my wife worked late and then had to go attend a speech tonight. So I thought I might be starving when I came home and would be eating later than usual. So here I am, not really enjoying this very much.

I've never eaten a tv dinner as depicted in the picture though. It looks like it is highly packaged for tv convenience, it's quite appealing in that way. It's more appealing than my chilli con carne, which I've now stopped eating. I'm going to cut up some apple, cucumbers and cheese to have with a few grapes: we call simple stuff like that "bits and bobs".

On the subject of TV Dinners one of the first tracks I heard and liked by ZZ Top was TV Dinners. It must have been on of the first 12 inch singles I ever bought infact. Robert Palmer did a great version of the song on the last album he did before he passed away, Drive.

4 comments:

Tara said...

That TV dinner looks wonderful, and I already ate. I had a self-assembled cheese and bologna sandwich. I love those chicken TV dinners, though. I've had them when I was desperate for something quick. Those usually suit me fine.

FW said...

Your sandwich sounds nice, you should have a Sandwich Fillings Day where you share a favourite sandwich recipe. If you haven't already, I think it would make a fine blog post.

Anonymous said...

Now that picture looks rank and the whole concept of a 'TV dinner' sounds appalling. I have a freezer full of homemade stuff (I cook for the 4000 at a time) What are you into? Let me send you some decent food!

FW said...

Thanks for the offer! We moved on to quick and simple real foods a long while back but every now and again I'm tempted to give packaged meals a go, if I'm eating alone. I am generally disappointed with what I find though, so they aren't improving with time.