Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A News Story

So, I was checking my Bloglines and came across this news story that I thought was quite bizarre. Just imagine what his kid would have to make up about his dad's death, so that people didn't rip into him about. What would it say on his grave?



Coke man's rubber hell

By VICTORIA RAYMOND
Sun Online (www.thesun.co.uk)

A MAN took cocaine and died from excessive overheating - because he was wearing a rubber body suit.

Robert James Mauleverer Garnett, 35, was found by police lying dead on his bed after he failed to turn up for work, an inquest heard.

The McDonald's store manager was dressed in a rubber body suit and officers found "two sealable bags on the floor containing a white powdery residue", according to a police report.

A third bag was found on the bedside table.

A post-mortem examination revealed his brain was swollen and there was a potentially fatal concentration of cocaine his body.

It showed that "the presence of the rubber clothing caused excessive overheating".

Mr John Sampson, coroner at Southwark Coroner's court, South London, today recorded the death as accidental, concluding that Mr Garnett died from "cerebral and pulmonary oedema" (fluid accumulation and swelling in the brain and lungs) "and cocaine intoxication".

Police broke into Mr Garnett's home in Kennington, South London, on December 11, 2005 after anxious colleagues raised the alarm.

Pc Lee Clement entered the house at 6.15am and found "the lights in the bedroom were off and the curtains were drawn".

His statement read: "On the bed I could see a motionless body, the knees were raised and the feet were on the bed."

He was last seen by his McDonald's colleague Antonella Mazzoni two days earlier.

Dr Peter Jerreat, who carried out the post-mortem at Greenwich public mortuary, said: "No natural disease was present. In my opinion, the presence of the rubber clothing caused excessive overheating leading to cerebral oedema and respiratory failure. Cocaine was a contributory factor."

A toxicology report revealed a potentially lethal concentration of cocaine and traces of ketamine in the body, and morphine was detected in the urine.

Detective Sergeant Paul Byrne of Kennington CID who gave evidence at today's inquest said: "There was no suggestion of third-party involvement."

Mr Garnett was separated and had a four-year-old child.

2 comments:

Ashburnite said...

all I can say is "wow." I did my share of drugs in college (coke included), but I never had the sudden urge to dress up in a rubber suit. VERY strange.

The Furtive Wangler said...

Thanks for dropping by :-)

I saw another report about this - it called it a Pulp Fiction gimp costume! Each to their own, I guess?