Monday, March 27, 2006

Spring finally gets here: British Summer Time begins

I've been surprised at how quickly the weather has changed recently. I know that the 20th was supposed to have been the first day of Spring but last week it was still very cold here. But since Friday the weather does seem to have changed and I especially noticed it last night as I walked a friend back to her car down the street at 10:30pm. Yesterday morning the clocks went forward for British Summer Time, I always hate losing that hour - it's a much better feeling when you wake up realising you've gained an extra hour. Actually, scratch that! Since we've had kids I think the reverse is true, you're happy when the clocks go forward because you put them to bed an hour earlier and when the clocks go backwards you have another hour with them to sap your remaining energy! Bitter you say? There's no bitterness there, I don't know what you mean ;-)

I took the kids to visit my mother yesterday, leaving my wife at home. You might think that was strange since it was Mother's Day but she's been encouraging me to take them out on my own for the day for ages. A few other mums at my daughter's school were a little surprised but when they thought about it, they all said that really they wish they could get a day on their own. If it was me, I might have gone shopping or spent some quality time on my Playstation 2 but my wife decided to clear and tidy the kids bedroom. Not my idea of fun! But then who knows how a mother's mind works, especially being male - I have no idea.

Going back in time to Saturday evening, I was reading my book in bed while my wife watched the film Eraser on TV lying next to me. Occasionally my eye went to the screen and I watched a few seconds - enough to catch some of the action. I have to say that some scenes were just so completely over the top that they were laughable. The plane sequence was my favourite but I won't spoil it now.

Getting back to today, I'm a little disappointed that my order for 24 series two on DVD was cancelled by CD-Wow because it's out of stock at the supplier. It didn't say that on the website when I ordered it and I got a dispatch email the same day as having my money returned and an email to say my order had been cancelled. More CD-Ouch than CD-Wow.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Our time-change is coming soon too. My mom taught me the difference between our time change now and the one in autumn. In the spring, we spring ahead one hour. In "the Fall", we fall back an hour. Ta da. Either way, it kind of messes me up, but this time change means it'll get dark later rather than sooner. I like coming home from work in the daylight.

We have some warmer weather too today...high 40s, some 50s and possibly the low 60s. Heavenly!

FW said...

In the spring, we spring ahead one hour

That's actually a great way to remember it! I didn't know you had that time change thing too, guess I'd never thought about it before. I understand it's mainly for farmers so they have more daylight to work with in the mornings (I may be wrong, I usually am!).

I always use centigrade, so those numbers don't mean much to me until I get my calculator out - there must be a web-calculator that works it out somewhere?

Tara said...

We actually spring ahead an hour this Sunday. Had to check on that. We change our hours back in October.

I think you might be right about those crazy farmers. :D

FW said...

LOL, yep they have their funny little ways ;-)