Monday, May 08, 2006

Japanese TV

I've watched those TV shows that show clips from other countries, some of them are funny. I especially enjoy watching adverts from other countries. Perhaps the weirdest of the bunch are the clips of game shows from Japan. They are so extreme in terms of what they put the show contestants through that they make me laugh the most, part of me says it's wrong but another part of me just finds it incredibly funny and despite myself I end up laughing until I cry.

There is a blog called TV in Japan that is a treasure trove of weird and hilarious Japanese clips. I found this particularly weird example. The contestants have to try not to laugh out. Nothing unusual there. But they sit in a classroom which has a TV at the front and on the TV is a language student reading an English magazine. He's bad. Watch as they grimace and hold their faces to keep in their laughter. It's painfully funny. When they do laugh men in masks come in and cane their backsides, big backswings on those canes too, ouch!

6 comments:

mojotek said...

That is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. I laughed my ass off though. How in the hell do they come up with this stuff anyway?

FW said...

Hi Mojotek. I know, the show inventors must be depraved or something! Did you see the clip of the girl models getting in the scalding bath wearing bikinis?

Nicole said...

I love watching ads from different countries. For some reason, commercials are a really good way to get a glimpse at the real culture. Rather than just going by the usual stereotypes. ;)

Hey, Mojo was here!

FW said...

Hi Nicole, I love to watch foreign commercials too, I thought it was just me!

AlienCG said...

I think the Japanese are a slightly sadistic culture. OK, that may be understating the obvious here.

FW said...

Alien: It's funny to watch though ;-) they just have a thicker streak of sadism than the rest of us!