Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Need a superhero?

I came across this story tonight:

SPIDER-MAN creator Stan Lee is searching for a superhero to feature in a new comic book strip.

Stan, 83, is behind new US TV show Who Wants To Be A Superhero in which 200 contenders will be whittled down to a final 11. It begins on the Sci-Fi Channel in July.

He said: "I’ve never lived in a world of reality so this seemed like the perfect way to find a new superhero."

Stan has been working in comics since 1941 and created Spider-Man, The Hulk and The Fantastic Four for Marvel Comics.

It made me remember my often-dreamt superhero powers: invisibility and a knock-out punch.

Real superheros don't have super powers though, the first British servicewoman was killed in a helicopter attack in Basra on Saturday. What I can't get my head around is that the people the soldiers were supposed to be protecting cheered when the chopper was brought down. How fucking whacked is that? She was 32.

4 comments:

AlienCG said...

My dream powers are still mind-reading and telekinesis. Do they have to have a reality show for everything, though? I'm waiting for the "Be AlienCG for a Year" reality show to come out.

Nicole said...

I remember seeing some news feature about the tryouts for this show. Some of the people and costumes that showed up for the auditions were downright BIZARRE. Should make for classic reality TV, though.

FW said...

Alien: I don't think they're running out of ideas for shows just yet :-(

Nicole: I'm looking forward to it already!

FW said...

Caatje: Hmmm your last one is one to ponder....