Monday, April 17, 2006

Band in a Bubble

I read this story today and rolled my eyes over yet another reality TV idea. This time, it is reported that rock group The Darkness will live and work together for a month while they record their next album inside the glass bubble accomodation in Trafalgar Square. The living areas and recording sessions will be completely visible to the outside world. Only the loo will be private. My first reaction was, this is just band publicity stunt and will never happen. But I'm not sure. It has happened before in Australia with the band Regurgitator but wasn't televised. If I was a fan of The Darkness, I'm sure I'd be thinking "Wow, great! That's compulsive viewing!" but in the scale of things I think you'd have to pick a really popular band to reel in hoards of viewers. With The Darkness I might watch just once or twice out of curiosity but then I'd probably lose interest. Unless they have some secret weapon - possibly being that they fight like cats and dogs in the recording session or inbetween recording sessions. Maybe that's what the sponsors are hoping for? Afterall, as consumers we buy the produce of hours of creative effort - we don't really want to see the process of creation for something that we don't know we're going to like. Unless the process itself is more interesting than the end product, which may well be the case.

6 comments:

Tara said...

I have never understood reality shows except they were made to put people on the spot and make us think that their lives are normal with cameras on them most of the time.

The only time I became hooked on a "reality" show was Sci Fi Channel's "Mad House" where a group of people stayed in a huge castle with 7 or 8 strange people (including a guy who was an alleged vampire). I actually watched that one till the very end.

FW said...

I say I'm not going to get hooked on Big Brother each year but unfortunately it happens! I don't know why but it becomes compulsory in our house. I try to limit myself to one reality show at time though!
Mad House sounds just like the kind of show I'd get into! Especially with the guy who thinks he's a vampire, LOL!

Tara said...

Yeah, I actually liked that show. Each person had to spend a day in the life of the stranger. The last two contestants had to sleep in the vampire's coffin over night. Eh..Not sure if I could do that. Then there was a naturalist in the bunch who also liked walking around nude. He woke them up early and they all went out in the nude to scrounge for edible plants for breakfast.

FW said...

LOL, it sounds totally crazy!

Nicole said...

I actually liked The Darkness' music so this info is kind of disappointing. Television execs are TOTALLY out of ideas nowadays. :-\

FW said...

It seems the same with movies too, look how many remakes and sequels there are :-(