Friday, April 21, 2006

The Queen turns 80

As The Queen rises today, it will be her 80th birthday. I was looking at the birthday website created to mark the occasion and came across the following trivia:

  • Technically The Queen still owns the sturgeons, whales and dolphins in the waters around the UK. A statute from 1324, at the time of the reign of King Edward II , states that:
  • "Also the King shall have ... whales and sturgeons taken in the sea or elsewhere within the realm."
  • The Queen sent her first email in 1976 from an Army base.
  • The Queen also introduced a new breed of dog known as the "dorgi" when one of Her Majesty's corgis was mated with a dachshund named Pipkin which belonged to Princess Margaret. The Queen currently has four dorgis, Cider, Berry, Candy and Vulcan.
  • The Queen has opened 15 bridges in the United Kingdom during her reign.
  • The Queen has launched 23 ships in her lifetime.
  • The Queen has given out about 78,000 Christmas puddings to staff continuing the custom of King George V and King George VI. In addition, The Queen gives all her staff a gift at Christmas time.
  • The Queen is patron of more than 620 charities and organisations.
  • During her reign, The Queen has undertaken over 256 official overseas visits to 129 different countries.
  • The Queen has sent around 100,000 telegrams to centenarians in the UK and the Commonwealth.
  • The Queen's real birthday is on April 21, but it is celebrated officially in June.

I've always liked the idea of having two birthdays, the real one and then an official one.

10 comments:

AlienCG said...

I'm thinking about celebrating two birthdays. My real one on December 21, and the official one on June 21. That way I can have the longest day of the year and the longest night.

Interesting trivia, but is she the one who created the Royal wave that she uses?

FW said...

Two birthdays does sound a bit cheeky doesn't it. But who wouldn't if you could get away with it! LOL

Suzyg20 said...

I know in some European countries you have your birthday and then a day called your "name day".
I don't care how many I get as long as I get the day off work (which I do at my present job)

FW said...

Suzy: You get the day off where you work on your birthday? How cool is that? Can I come and work there too?

Caatje: I feel so stupid to admit it, but I didn't even know the Netherlands had a Queen! I'm just going to put my head in a bucket now!

mojotek said...

Can anyone get a dorgi now-a-days? Or is it reserved for royalty only?

Suzyg20 said...

yeah sure, here ya go. what can you do for us? lol
http://www.printmethods.com/

what's great is my birthday this year is on a Saturday so I get that Friday off. NICE!

Ryan said...

Hey, I was listening to Scott Mills talk about that on Radio 1 today. That, and that dude who got his arm hacked off in East London. Eww! lol.

Nicole said...

She knew how to email when I was BORN??? Wow, that's incredible. :)

FW said...

Mojotek: How come when anyone else cross breeds dogs they're just mongrels but when the Queen does it she invents a new breed? Check out these dog breeds that didn't make it, my favourite is:

Bloodhound + Labrador
Blabador, a dog that barks incessantly

FW said...

Suzy: You even get a day in lieu if your birthday falls on a Saturday? You can never leave that place girl!

Ryan: Yeah, that story is just awful isn't it?

Nicole: I know! I didn't even know it was called e-mail in those days, I was in junior school at the time - very hot summer as I remember.