Thursday, April 06, 2006

I agree with Prince Charles


This is the Central Library in Birmingham, taken earlier today. It stands opposite the Art Gallery, the photo below. I agree with Prince Charles' dry wit when he commented that it was more like a place where books are burned. It's even more of a contrast because you just have to turn 180 degrees to see the wonderful architecture of the art gallery. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for modern architecture, I like a lot of it but I feel it has to be in the right setting. Not sited next to buildings with a historic significance.

2 comments:

Peter Jacobs said...

Having been to Berlin earlier this year, I can tell you that the nice art gallery actually looks just like the place where they did actually burn books.

FW said...

I'd love to go to Berlin, you're so lucky! Burning books, now that's such an odd state of mind isn't it? Yet it has really happened.