Saturday, April 22, 2006

St. George's Day


It is St. George's Day today, it's a National Day for the English. A lot of people do stuff like put St George's flags on their house or cars. And weird stuff goes on that I can't quite explain, like Morris Dancing.

I shall be attending a car boot sale tomorrow. It's held in a field and people pay to bring their cars and set up wallpaper tables to sell stuff they don't want anymore for cheap. We cleared most of one of our sheds last Sunday doing one and we made something over sixty pounds. It's better than dumping the stuff you bought for nothing. I'll be going as a buyer rather than a seller today though. It's funny what you find: other people selling stuff you had as a kid (the number of times that's happened) and it's funny how families all have usually the same kind of stuff lying around littering the place like Sodastreams, old pairs of roller skates, Mastermind, Connect 4, aerobic steppers and old golf clubs. As a seller it's hilarious when you're selling something for like fifty pence and someone wants to haggle you down to twenty, even though it's a brilliant bargain for fifty. Some people just like haggling, like me sometimes. But the difference is that I'd only haggle if I thought the price was unfair and over a certain amount. I don't really see the point of haggling if what you're buying is less than a pound anyway. But hey, that's just me I guess. In a way that's what I like about car boot sales: they're so cheap, nasty and attract all walks of life from the poorest and trashiest to the well off looking for a bargain.

What I do dislike about car boot sales are the traders there in disguise as ordinary sellers. That and people who put far too high a price on what they're selling. It's a freakin boot sale! People don't like sellers who charge too much. We were selling videos for like fifty pence each and we sold a few but other people were selling the same ones for a pound - they ended up taking them all home again, Ha!

We won't be displaying the St George flag, we don't have one, but I'm planning on buying my daughter an England football strip for when the World Cup is on. The first match for us is on 10 June against Paraguay. I'm so excited! I'll reserve my national pride for sports events!

4 comments:

AlienCG said...

Hey, maybe you can buy a St. George flag at the car boot sale and then you'll be able to display it. Happy St. George's Day Mr. Wangler, in the spirit of the day, you've been linked.

Nicole said...

Would you believe I've never heard of St. George's Day? You should!

So where did the name "car boot" originate?

FW said...

Alien: Thanks for the link man! Though the weather wasn't so good today and we gave the car boot sale a miss. We did other things instead.

Nicole: I just found out he's a Saint honoured in other countries too, like Spain. I don't know where car boot comes from, in the US it's known as the trunk.

AlienCG said...

I would equate a car boot sale to a flea market here on the left side of the pond. Although, car boot does sound a little better.