Saturday, April 08, 2006

Shaving

I'm 37 and I still haven't figured shaving out properly. I wet shave, I've tried most branded blades like Wilkinson Sword and Gillette (I steer away from really cheap disposable razors that have the fixed position blades). I do however get razor rash quite often. I also cut myself on occasion. I am usually not completely satisfied with my shave, if I spend more time than average when shaving and do the stuff like shaving against the grain etc. I usually bring on a bad case of shaving rash. This morning I tried the Gillette M3Power, the green razor that has a battery in the handle that vibrates the blade. My wife got it at a discount last week because it was ex-Christmas stock and came with some shaving gel. I couldn't shave with the vibration turned on, it felt unnatural, I didn't get the feedback through the handle I usually get from following the contours of my face. So, I turned off the vibro. Glad I didn't pay full wack for one :-(

7 comments:

Tara said...

Lady Gilette has one of those vibrating blades, and I wasn't too happy with the results. You're right, it feels unnatural. Plus where did they get the idea that blades and vibrating motors would be a good idea?

FW said...

Yeah, they ought to have developed razors that flash with disco colours as you shave with the music on - pulsing in time to the beat! I'd buy one! :-)

Nicole said...

Yeah, I'm with you guys. The idea of some super-sharp piece of metal being that close to my skin when a motor is turned on fills me with fear. And I'd be even more nervous about a facial shave!

FW said...

Maybe it's a certain fearless class of men that they're trying to appeal to? Men who aren't afraid to have their face ripped off. Men who face their fear so others may fear their face. Or something...
...............(?)

Peter Jacobs said...

Wash your face with soap and nice hot water before you shave and use a decent moisturiser after - something like Vaseline Intensive Care. Never put aftershave or cologne or aftershave balm on your face, only neutral moisturiser.

Chaim said...

I have rather sensitive skin. I use the M3 Power with the handle turned on and I have not nicked myself once, or developed a rash. I use a shaving cream sold by Lush here in the states and haven't used an aftershave in a long time. (Manyof them tend to dry me out.) Excellent results.

FW said...

Thanks for commenting guys!

Peter: Thanks for the advice, I don't remember trying moisturiser before - I'll give that a go.

Chaim: Next time I'm at the pharmacy I'll look out for Lush.

Barnze: He's my mentor with regard to shaving. Is he leading me down a wrong path?