Friday, April 21, 2006

Pop Quiz Grail Winner is..........Tara!


The Pop Quiz competition has now closed! It was a mighty battle of true 1980s proportions, AlienCG pulled out in the lead straight from the traps but in the end it was Tara who won with a late surge to the tape! Congratulations Tara, you have earned the Pop Quiz Grail after scoring 8. The grail is made from gold and is inlaid with a marble star and sports the FW motif. A wonderful old treasure it is, guard it well.

From the left top row we have:
Thompson Twins
Scritti Politti
Human League
Next row left to right:
Suzanne Vega
Go West
Nick Kershaw
Talking Heads (under Nik)
Swing Out Sister
Thomas Dolby
Next row left to right:
The Cars
Level 42
Howard Jones
Gary Numan

Nobody got the person whose blog I discovered via BlogMad and what started all this, it was Thomas Dolby's. I really enjoyed a few of the Thomas Dolby tracks, I thought they were really inventive and new. I haven't heard any of the old stuff in years. It was Dolby who famously sampled Dr Magnus Pyke's voice on She Blinded Me With Science, probably a more lasting tribute to Pyke than anything he did himself. Magnus Pyke was an eccentric British scientist, I remember him on TV programmes as an old man in a shabby suit and he had wild hair and waved his arms around when he explained something. I love this information in Wikipedia about him:

Pyke rose to prominence as a young food researcher working for the wartime Minister of Food, Frederick Marquis, 1st Earl of Woolton. Even then, he was known to be eccentric. It is said that, in an effort to cope with the problem of blood donation outstripping local storage for blood transfusion, Pyke suggested using the excess human blood to make black pudding.

I seem to have moved tangentally away from the Pop Quiz award to black pudding, that must be deserving of some kind of award in itself! I have other black pudding stories - but I won't go into those now, it's late!

4 comments:

Tara said...

Yuss!!!! It's the holy grail of 80s trivia! I shall keep it behind glass and explain it to my children and my children's children. Thank you!

AlienCG said...

Well, I gave it the old college try, but unfortunately, I have repressed all memories of these groups. Good job, Tara, enjoy the Grail.

Nicole said...

Wow, GO TARA!!! I should have guessed that she'd be the one to win it all. :)

FW said...

Thanks peeps for taking part. It's not the winning but the taking part that's important! ;-)