Saturday, April 22, 2006

London Marathon 2006


It's the London Marathon tomorrow, starting in just over ten hours as I type this. I've never competed in a marathon. I have the utmost respect for people who do. Last year I did some training in the mornings before work, not for a marathon but just to get into better shape. I like running, it's a great way to give the cardiovascular system a workout. However, running 4 miles was about my limit, so to be able to run 26 seems like a superhuman endeavour. I've looked at the route map and it is long! The weather here has gotten warmer the last couple of weeks, it's very pleasant but if I were running in the sunshine I know I'd need to drink a lot of water and I'd probably be cursing the warmer weather.

I like watching the marathon on TV. I like to see the fun runners, the people who run for charity wearing costumes like a suit of armour or a telephone box. Honestly, I don't know how they do it? Surely they don't do the 26 miles? Surely they would expire with heat and exhaustion inside a pantomime cow, especially the back half! Those guys are hardcore!

4 comments:

AlienCG said...

I don't run, I walk. Because of an accident many years ago, my knees aren't in the best shape. So if were to be even a fun runner, I would simply walk the whole 26 miles without a costume of any type.

Also, are you using miles instead of kilometers?

FW said...

Hi Alien, I don't think I could walk 26 miles - I'd wear my knees out trying. I actually do mean miles; those hills must really hurt!

Nicole said...

I wish I was a runner but unfortunately that form of cardiovascular fitness just doesn't work for me. Or maybe I'm just out of shape? ;)

FW said...

I've stopped and am having difficulty starting it again. I found it too much like hard work but I suppose that's the point. Knowing that doesn't make me wanna do it though :-(